phone Call
an elderly woman sits in a wheelchair in her room | Boller and Vaughan

Who to Call for Elder Abuse?

If you or someone you love is a victim of elder abuse, getting help should be your top priority. While some cases of elder abuse involve isolated incidents or attacks, abusers often target their victims repeatedly. In all cases, elder abuse can have both physical and psychological impacts, and getting help can be essential for mitigating the consequences of the abuse.

When you have concerns about elder abuse in Wisconsin, there are two calls you should make right away. There is a third call you can make as well (although, as we discuss below, you can also rely on your lawyer to make this call for you). Help is available—and, the sooner you seek help, the sooner you can protect yourself or your loved one from further physical and psychological harm. 

3 Calls to Make When You Have Concerns About Elder Abuse in Wisconsin 

Here are the three calls you should make if you have concerns about elder abuse in Wisconsin: 

1. Call Your (or Your Loved One’s) Healthcare Provider—Or Call 911 if Necessary 

The first call you should make is to your (or your loved one’s) healthcare provider. It is important that victims of elder abuse receive the medical attention they need promptly. Nursing home residents have the absolute right to obtain treatment from a doctor of their own choosing, and nursing homes cannot prevent residents from seeking care when necessary. 

If you or your loved one needs emergency medical attention, you can (and should) call 911. The Wisconsin Department of Health Services states: “If you are in imminent danger or experiencing a medical emergency, call 911.” For nursing home residents and others who need a ride to the hospital but who do not need emergency care, Wisconsin’s non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) system provides Medicaid-covered transportation services. You can visit the Wisconsin Department of Health Services NEMT website or call 866-907-1493 for more information. 

2. Call an Elder Abuse Lawyer in Wisconsin 

After getting the medical care you or your loved one needs, your next call should be to an elder abuse lawyer in Wisconsin. An experienced attorney will be able to:

  • Help you understand your (or your loved one’s) legal rights
  • Explain the options you and your family have available 
  • Give you advice and take any necessary legal action on your family’s behalf

aIf you or your loved one has experienced abuse in a Wisconsin nursing home, an elder abuse lawyer will be able to deal with the nursing home for you and help secure the protection you or your loved one needs. Sadly, nursing home abuse is alarmingly common, and Wisconsin has enacted laws that specifically protect residents of nursing homes and other long-term care facilities. 

These laws give nursing home residents the right to live in safe and caring environments. They also give residents and their families the right to recover fair compensation in cases of physical, sexual, psychological, and financial abuse. Not only can an attorney help protect you or your loved one, but your lawyer can also help you seek the compensation you and your family deserve. For many families, recovering this compensation is essential for managing their long-term financial and non-financial losses. 

3. Call the Wisconsin Department of Health Services 

Victims and families also have the option of the Wisconsin Department of Health Services. The Department of Health Services’ Elder Abuse Hotline (833-586-0107) accepts calls about abuse of elder adults in all living environments, while the Division of Quality Assurance (800-642-5662) specifically handles cases involving elder abuse in Wisconsin nursing homes. If you need to report elder abuse but have questions or concerns about doing so on your own, your lawyer can assist with this as well. 

These cases rarely get better on their own. If you or a loved one needs help, getting help is absolutely the best thing to do. If you have any questions or concerns about seeking justice in Wisconsin, we strongly encourage you to contact us for more information.

Speak with an Elder Abuse Lawyer in Madison, WI for Free

If you would like to speak with our Madison elder abuse lawyer, we invite you to get in touch. We understand the hardships you and your family may be facing, and we are committed to helping you move forward with confidence and dignity.

Contact Boller & Vaughan today online or at 608-268-0268 for a FREE case evaluation. We serve clients throughout Wisconsin from our office in Madison. We handle these cases on a contingency fee basis, which means if we don’t win, you don’t pay.