phone Call

Madison CBRF Neglect Attorneys

"*" indicates required fields

FREE Case Evaluation
  • Complete this quick and easy form in a matter of minutes.
  • Your FREE Case Evaluation involves no cost and no obligation.
  • We will get back to you right away to explain your rights and answer your questions.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Our elders deserve the best care, especially when they’re no longer able to care for themselves. When we choose an assisted living or community-based residential facility to care for our aging loved ones, it’s with the expectation that they’ll be treated well.

Unfortunately, many residents of these facilities in Wisconsin are subject to substandard care, and some may even experience neglect, abuse, or cruelty.

If you or a loved one has experienced neglect or abuse in a Wisconsin assisted living facility, call (608) 268-0268 or our Madison nursing home abuse lawyers. Our experienced attorneys will fight for justice for your family, including financial compensation for pain, suffering, and expense.

Call for a FREE Consultation (608) 268-0268

What is a Community-Based Residential Facility?

In Wisconsin, a community-based residential facility, or CBRF, is a place where five or more unrelated people live together in a community setting. Services provided in a CBRF include room and board, supervision, support services, and up to three hours of nursing care per week.

In comparison, nursing homes are places where five or more unrelated people (also not related to the administrator or operator) reside. Nursing home residents may also receive care or treatment, as well as access to 24-hour nursing services.

Wisconsin law distinguishes various kinds of care facilities, and different standards apply to each. CBRFs are not held to the same legal standards as nursing homes but they still have clear requirements and responsibilities for providing care.

It’s not always easy determining those differences in a facility’s legal duties, and a nursing home abuse attorney at Boller & Vaughan can help.

Assisted Living Settlement
Assisted Living Settlement
Assisted Living Settlement
Assisted Living Settlement
Assisted Living Settlement
Assisted Living Settlement
Nursing Home Settlement
Nursing Home Settlement
Nursing Home Settlement
Nursing Home Settlement

What is Considered Neglect and Abuse?

The state of Wisconsin categorizes abuse in the following ways:

Physical abuse

Intentional acts that result in pain, injury, or impairment. Signs of physical abuse may include bruises, open wounds or cuts, broken bones, sprains, dislocations, broken eyeglasses or hearing aids, signs of confinement or restraint, or access denied to aids such as wheelchairs.

Emotional abuse

Language or behavior intended to cause emotional pain or distress. Signs of emotional abuse may include the resident being passive, withdrawn, nonresponsive, anxious, or fearful. They may blame themselves for the situation. A caregiver or family member may yell, threaten, control, or belittle the individual.

Sexual abuse

Nonconsensual sexual contact of any kind, including contact with an individual incapable of giving their consent. Signs of sexual abuse may include bruises around the breasts or genitals, unexplained bleeding, pain, or itching around the genitals, or difficulty in walking or sitting.

Financial exploitation

The illegal or improper use of funds, assets, or property of an individual. Signs of financial exploitation include sudden changes in bank accounts or banking practices, unauthorized withdrawals or transfer of assets, unexplained disappearance of valuable possessions or funds, forged signatures, and more.

Financial exploitation is the second most common reason for reported elder abuse in Wisconsin.


The failure to provide basic needs to an individual: food, water, clean clothing and living conditions, assistance with personal hygiene, medicine, safety, and other essentials.

Signs of neglect include lack of cleanliness or safety in the home, inadequate or spoiled food, weight loss or untreated health problems, neglected bills or finances, and so on.

Some of these signs of abuse are obvious, while others are more subtle. While observing one sign doesn’t automatically mean an individual is being abused, it’s important to be on alert for these red flags in case it does occur.

How Can I Protect My Loved Ones from Neglect and Abuse?

If your loved one is in immediate, life-threatening danger, call 911 or local law enforcement to report it immediately.

To talk to someone about suspected elder abuse (a person age 60 and over), contact your county’s elder adult protection agency in Wisconsin.

When you call to report the abuse, you may be asked for information such as:

  • The name and address of the elder at risk
  • Their age
  • Type of abuse
  • The name of the caregiver or guardian
  • The name and relationship of the suspected abuser
  • Any other information that should be included in the report

Following your call, a caseworker will review the report and then determine their next action.

Reporting suspected abuse or neglect is the first step in protecting your loved one from harm. It’s also a good idea to contact a Madison-area attorney experienced in elder abuse cases. A knowledgeable attorney can help you collect evidence and pursue the financial compensation you and your family deserve.

Get Help Now!

Your initial consultation with our lawyers is FREE. During your consultation we will evaluate the merits of your case and give you our honest opinion of whether or not it is worth pursuing.

FREE Case Consultation

How Can a Nursing Home Abuse Attorney Help?

Whether your family utilizes a CBRF, hospice, a nursing home, assisted living, in-home healthcare, or some other such service, you never have to tolerate abuse or neglect. These facilities accept the incredibly important responsibility of caring for your loved ones, and you are justified in expecting the best from them.

If you suspect that you or a loved one has experienced neglect or abuse in a Wisconsin assisted living facility, call Boller & Vaughan at (608) 268-0268 to speak to a nursing home abuse attorney right away. Your initial consultation is free of charge and you pay nothing unless we win your case.

Follow Boller & Vaughan on Facebook and Twitter for more resources and updates.

More Cases We Handle

Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer

Motor Vehicle Accidents

Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer

Nursing Home Abuse

Truck Accidents

Truck Accidents

Spinal Cord Injury

Spinal Cord Injury

Bicycle Accidents

Bicycle Accidents

Wrongful Death

Wrongful Death