phone Call

Do I Have to Undergo an Independent Medical Exam in My Personal Injury Case?

In some personal injury cases, insurance adjustors may request that any injury victims undergo independent medical exams, or IMEs. The insurance company is responsible for choosing a doctor and paying for the examination, which doesn’t make an IME all that “independent,” or unbiased; the doctor almost certainly will not have your best interests at heart. As a result, the diagnosis and report from this doctor’s examination is likely

The point of an IME is for the insurance company to determine whether the accident victim has truly suffered serious injuries and the chances of a full recovery. Findings in an IME that an accident victim is not as serious as he or she claims can help the insurance company avoid paying out high amounts of damages. In particular, insurance companies often use IMEs in worker’s compensation cases, in which an employee has developed a workplace illness or suffered a workplace injury.

If you have been ordered to undergo an IME, your personal injury attorney can help prepare you for your exam. He or she can help you understand what to expect from the exam and discuss the possibility of getting a second opinion from another doctor of your own choosing. Following your IME, your attorney can help you review the report and compare to any reports and records from other doctors who have examined you.

When you or a family member suffers serious injuries from a slip and fall, a motor vehicle accident, or any other type of incident as a result of another’s negligence, you may have a personal injury claim under Wisconsin law. Meeting with a personal injury lawyer is the first step toward getting the compensation that you deserve for the injuries that you have suffered. Undergoing an independent medical exam also can be a step in the personal injury claims process. Call Boller & Vaughan today at (608) 268-0268, or contact us online at in order to set up an appointment with one of our Wisconsin personal injury attorneys, and see what we can do for you.