phone Call

What is the Statute of Limitations for a Wisconsin Personal Injury Case?

If you are injured in a personal injury case, you cannot wait ten years to file a claim against a person who negligently caused the accident.

This would lead to many more personal injury cases in which all of the evidence has grown stale and witnesses have forgotten details. Plus, the negligent person would fear that an injury victim would file a personal injury suit against him or her for life.

This is why Wisconsin law establishes a statute of limitations in all personal injury cases. The statute of limitations is a time limit for filing a particular type of lawsuit. If you don’t settle your personal injury claim or file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires, then you will not be able to pursue your claim at all. There are different statutes of limitations for different types of lawsuits.

In Wisconsin, the statute of limitations is three years from the date of the accident that led to the personal injury claim. However, there are exceptions to this general rule.

In some situations, the statute of limitations may be shorter than three years. For instance, if the negligent party was a municipal entity, such as a town or city, then you must give written notice of the injury and the potential claim within 120 days of the incident that led to your injuries.  Furthermore, if you are a minor or a mentally ill person at the time of the accident, you may be eligible for an extended statute of limitations for your personal injury claim.

If you miss a statute of limitations by even one day, you will be unable to get any compensation for your injuries. Boller & Vaughan are experienced Madison personal injury lawyers who know Wisconsin law and know how to effectively represent your interests in any personal injury claim stemming from a traffic accident, whether it involves a motorcycle, semi-truck, or a passenger vehicle.

Contact our office today and learn how our attorneys can help ensure that you receive the compensation in your case to which you are entitled.