Neck injuries are one of the most common forms of injuries that result from car accidents. While these injuries may be minor, they also can result in serious medical conditions that may never fully disappear. There are a number of different types of neck injuries, including the following:
- Whiplash occurs when there is a sudden back-and-forth motion that affects the cervical ligament located at the base of the neck.
- Soft tissue damages involve the muscle, tissue, and ligaments, but not any damage to the bones.
- Muscle spasms in the neck can occur around the facet joints in each pair of neck vertebrae.
- Vocal cord damage can occur when there is an impact to the larynx.
- Brain injuries can result when there are injuries to neck arteries that restrict blood flow to the brain.
- Paresthesia, or a tingling or burning sensation on the skin, can occur when a slipped disc landing on a nerve root.
While these injuries initially may see minor, they can develop into more severe and longer-lasting medical conditions that may be disabling, perhaps on even a permanent basis. For instance, a whiplash injury can result in whiplash associated disorder, which is a chronic condition that can involve mental or emotional issues and other chronic and painful physical symptoms, such as backaches or headaches. Other long-term effects of neck injuries include the following:
- Jaw pain
- Inability to turn one’s neck without pain
- Muscle tightness and spasms
- Chronic headaches
- Dizziness or vertigo
- Chronic fatigue
- Nausea and inner ear problems
- Difficulty swallowing and breathing
- Swelling inside the throat
The Wisconsin car accident lawyers of Boller & Vaughan are experienced in ensuring that those who negligently cause motor vehicle accidents that result in injuries to others are held responsible for their actions. We know how to investigate your case, assess your situation and determine whether you or your loved one has any personal injury claim against either the driver or another negligent party that contributed to the accident. Contact Boller & Vaughan today and learn how we can help you through this difficult situation.