phone Call
medical bills concept art Wisconsin nursing home abuse lawyers

How Do You Handle Medical Bills Relating to Your Auto Accident?

If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident, you typically will have medical bills that can be quite high, including transport by an ambulance, treatment by a hospital, follow-up doctor visits, physical therapy, and prescription medication. Fortunately, if another person is responsible for the accident that led to your injuries, you do have several different avenues of relief from these expenses.

First, you can file claims with your own medical insurance policy to cover at least a portion of the costs of your medical bills. However, it is important to keep in mind that your health insurance company will require subrogation in your case, which means that if you recover compensation from the responsible party, you must reimburse your health insurance company for the costs that it paid toward your medical bills. Similarly, you can file a claim with your own car insurance company; your policy should provide some medical coverage. These payments also are subject to subrogation.

Next, if another person is responsible for the wreck that led to your injuries, you can file a claim with that person’s car insurance company. The amount that this insurance policy will pay just depends on the type of coverage that the person has. For instance, if you have $100,000 in medical bills, but the other person’s insurance policy has a limit of $50,000 in medical bills, then you can only get $50,000 for your medical bills. There also are likely to be provisions in your own car insurance policy that may provide coverage if the other party does not have insurance coverage or has less insurance coverage than you need. This is called uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.

When you are involved in an accident, medical expenses are likely to be a substantial and unexpected cost that you may be ill-equipped to handle. In this situation, you may wish to pursue a personal injury case, which can entitle you to various types of damages from the responsible party or parties. To find out more information about whether you have a valid personal injury claim, contact the Wisconsin personal injury lawyers of Boller & Vaughan today.