phone Call
Madison car accident lawyers

How Do I Handle Car Insurance Following an Accident?

A minimum level of motor vehicle liability insurance coverage is a requirement under Wisconsin law, but the reality is that not every driver maintains the necessary insurance coverage while operating a motor vehicle. As a result, how you should handle car insurance issues following an accident in which you are injured or suffer property damage depends upon the type of insurance coverage that is available to you, given the facts and circumstances surrounding your case.

If the driver at fault for the accident that led to your injuries has insurance coverage, you typically can expect to hear from an insurance adjuster at that company fairly quickly after your accident. You also can take the first step to contact the other driver’s insurance company if you do not hear from an adjuster shortly following the accident. The insurance adjuster will try to collect necessary information about the accident, your injuries, medical treatment that you received, any permanent impairment, property damages, and loss of income or wages as a result of your injuries. Keep in mind, however, that you should never admit fault for the accident; stick to the facts concerning the accident only. The adjuster will use this information in order to put together a settlement offer for you regarding the accident. If the monetary offer from the insurance company is acceptable to you and your attorney, then the claims process is effectively over; you will receive the agreed-upon settlement amount and will forfeit your right to further pursue the driver at fault through legal action. If, however, you do not receive an acceptable settlement offer, then you have the choice of further pursuing the matter by filing a personal injury lawsuit in the appropriate court.

You also should contact your own insurance company following any accident in which you are involved. This is particularly important in a number of different situations. If you are injured in an accident caused by a hit-and-run driver, or if the other driver does not have a sufficient amount of insurance to cover your losses, you may need to look to your own insurance policy for coverage.

Boller & Vaughan are Wisconsin motor vehicle accident lawyers who are devoted to protecting the interests of injury victims, as well as their families, regardless of the type of negligence involved. When another driver has acted in such a manner so as to cause you harm, he or she may be responsible for your financial losses. In the case of a personal injury suit, however, there are strict deadlines that you must follow, or you risk losing your right to compensation altogether. Contact our office today to set up your free consultation and learn what legal options we can offer you.