phone Call
Missing persons concept

When Aged Individuals Go Missing From CBRFs

Community-based residential facilities, or CBRFs, are places where a resident does not require care above intermediate level nursing care, and requires a maximum of three hours of nursing care each week. These facilities allow a great deal of freedom for residents, while still ensuring that they receive some level of nursing care that is necessitated by their physical or medical condition.

However, due to the lack of any supervision of these residents, it is very possible for an individual resident to go missing from this type of facility. Before placing your loved one in this type of facility, it is wise to get a medical opinion as to the level of care that the individual requires, as well as the policies and protocol of the CBRF if and when a resident is reported to be missing.

In some cases, you may determine that your relative needs a more restrictive or supervised level of care, which will clearly make it more difficult for him or her to simply wander away from the facility unnoticed.

If  you feel that a facility charged with caring for your loved one has violated state or federal law, or otherwise been negligent for your loved one’s care, you have the right to file a complaint with the state about your allegations and concerns.

The Division of Quality Assurance (DQA) of the Wisconsin Department of Health Services is responsible for fielding complaints about health, safety, and welfare violations by any type of care provider, including a nursing home, assisted living facility, or CBRF. Additionally, if injury resulted to your loved one when he or she went missing, your loved one may have a personal injury claim against the residential facility, depending on the circumstances.

At Boller & Vaughan, we have investigated countless allegations of nursing home abuse and neglect, including those injuries that occur when the resident of a facility inadvertently wanders away. Allow us to look into the facts and circumstances surrounding your case, discuss your options, and help you determine what course of action is right for you and your family. Contact the Wisconsin nursing home neglect attorneys of Boller & Vaughan, and learn how we can help.